Throughout his career, Richtofen has been at the forefront of torture and information extraction. Before the war he was a back-alley plastic surgeon, who created an army who would follow him around and laugh at every joke he makes. He lost it when the rebublic fell and the Nazi party took over. He then joined the army to watch people die, slowly.
Richtofen, along with Tank Dempsey, Nikolai Belinski and Takeo Masaki arrived in a Japanese swamp (Shi no Numa) where they fought against the zombies. After an unknown amount of time they teleported to Der Riese and fought against more zombies until one of them obtained the Wunderwaffe DG-2 and used the teleporter. It turned into a time machine which took them to the future in which the zombies had overrun Berlin and they had to battle again in an abandoned Nazi theatre (Kino der Toten) before being forced to retreat. Eventually, Richtofen reached an abandoned Soviet cosmodrome (Ascension) under attack by more zombies. After freeing Gersch, they teleported again. This time they arrived at a ship in Siberia (Call of the Dead), but became trapped in a lighthouse. They then instructed another group of survivors to fix a teleporter. Once the survivors had done that, they teleported again. Leaving a Wunderwaffe DG-2 behind.
Now for some random facts:
- In Black Ops, Richtofen uses the same character model as Jason Hudson from Rebirth
- He was one of the scientists responsible for the creation of zombies
- He is apparently a part of the group, the Illuminati
- He often compliments Nikolai, even though they are enemies
- He suffers from Schizophrenia
- He has a scar under his right eye, which he probably got during Shi no Numa
- He seems to hate Dempsey
- Richtofen has a sister
- His favourite weapon seems to be the Awful Lawton, the upgraded crossbow
- He experimented on Samantha Maxis behind he father's, Ludvig, back. He began to hate her and Ludvig when they did not mass-produce the Wunderwaffe. He also planned to murder them.